Compressing videos to send via WhatsApp is necessary when they are larger than the 16 MB limit size. According to the messenger, this corresponds to a file lasting between 90 seconds and 3 minutes. The time varies depending on the image quality.
If you want to send long content, you need to compress it until it is small enough. AppGeek explains how to shorten an online video to send via WhatsApp on Android and iPhone. There is no need to download any app.
How to compress a video for WhatsApp online
There are some options for websites to reduce videos available. These services usually work in a very similar way. We chose Clideo in our tutorial, as we consider it one of the most intuitive, in addition to delivering a compressed file of better quality.
1. Access the Clideo website and tap Choose file. If you want to use a Dropbox or Drive file, tap on the arrow next to the button;
2. Choose the folder where the video is located and then tap on the movie you want to reduce;
3. The website will start the compression process, wait until it finishes. Tap Download to download the file to your smartphone. The video will be stored in the download directory of the device.
In our test, the video was reduced by 80%. The content sent will have the website’s watermark in the bottom right corner of the screen.
Other options for compressing online videos
In addition to Clideo, it is possible to use other tools to decrease videos online and for free. Are they:
How to transform YouTube video and send on WhatsApp
There are two ways to upload YouTube videos via WhatsApp: sending the link or downloading the content.
Share YouTube video link via WhatsApp
1. Open the YouTube app on the video you want to watch. Touch the Share item below the player;
2. Tap on the WhatsApp icon;
3. Select the contacts or groups you want to share the video with. The limit is 5 simultaneously;
4. Touch the green arrow, which will appear in the lower right corner of the screen,
5. The link will appear in the message box. Touch the green send icon to send.
How to download YouTube video to send on WhatsApp
Before sharing a video downloaded from YouTube by WhatsApp, be aware of the reproduction rights of the content. Many films on the platform are protected by copyright law.
1. Open the YouTube app and access the video you want to post. Tap Share, located below the player;
2. Among the options that open, go to Copy link;
3. Now, go to the Online Video Converter video download site and go to Convert a Video Link option;
4. Paste the copied link in the box provided. Keep the MP4 option selected. If you want, you can change the video quality, kept as automatic, by default, to between 240p to 1080p. Then tap Start,
5. Wait until the process is finished and go to Download the content.
The video will be stored in the Downloads folder of your smartphone. If it is very large, just decrease the size, reproducing the steps taught in the first part of this article.
Sending a video through WhatsApp is quite simple. Just open the messenger and then the conversation you want to share it with. Then, tap on a clip icon, go to Gallery, and tap on the desired movie.
If you want, include a caption or edit as you like. Complete the upload by touching the green Submit icon.